LOCAL 25 SAFETY GUIDELINES
WE ARE RECOMMENDING ALL LOCAL 25 MEMBERS ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES WHEN ON A JOBSITE:
- Do not congregate in enclosed areas (any place which does not allow you to maintain 6ft. of separation, such as shacks/containers, galleys, lever room, etc.)
- Wash or sanitize hands before entering any of the above mentioned areas (if not wearing gloves or taking off gloves) so as not to contaminate the area or yourself.
- Whether your employer is requiring it or not, we are recommending our Local 25 members to wear some kind of mask, at work and out in public, ESPECIALLY in situations where the social distancing 6ft. rule is difficult (crew boat runs, lifts requiring 2 people, connecting pipe, etc.) This recommendation has been made by the CDC and U.S. Surgeon General. The wearing of a mask can help mitigate your chances of spreading the virus before you are showing symptoms. If everyone you work around follows this recommendation, the spread of the virus between coworkers can be greatly reduced. We attempted to obtain the needed supplies to send to all jobsites for our members to have their own reusable mask. Unfortunately, the shipping times are making it impossible for us to get them you in a timely manner. We are continuing to work on a possible solution. Thankfully, it is easy to make a mask out of material you already have, including a sock, tshirt or pillow case. We will post links to instructions for making a mask below. Any reusable mask MUST be washed between wears.
- Group meetings (pre-shift, JSA/JHA/AHA, etc.) should be held where a MINIMUM of 6 feet can be kept between each individual. Please be aware of your employer's current company policies regarding COVID-19. The social distancing protocols for these types of meetings should be outlined in any policy they create, as these are mandates from the federal and state governments. You absolutely have a right to speak up if your employer is not following their policy in these situations.
- ANYTHING you touch with a bare hand can be a catalyst for you or someone else to get or transfer COVID-19. Before and after touching surfaces with your bare hand, you should wash your hands. You should have on gloves in most situations on a jobsite, which is helpful. Please understand that the outside of your gloves can be contaminated with the virus, so be sure to keep your hands away from your face.
- If staying in a hotel room, take your own precautions to ensure that your room is disinfected properly.
- Stay home if you are sick
- Be prepared for closures - schools, daycares, worksites, etc.
CLICK BELOW FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE NO SEW MASK FROM A TSHIRT OR BANDANA:
WE ARE RECOMMENDING ALL LOCAL 25 MEMBERS ADHERE TO THESE GUIDELINES ON AND OFF JOBSITES TO KEEP THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES SAFE:
- Wash your hands frequently (20 seconds)
- Use alcohol - based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow, even if wearing a mask
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (don’t forget cellphones & keys, etc.)
Click here for Mariner's Health flyer
FOLLOWING THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL CREATE LOW RISK WORK ENVIRONMENTS AND WILL GREATLY REDUCE THE CHANCES OF CONTRACTING CONVID-19.